6.06.2011

Howdy Kitchen: Orange Cream Pop Cupcakes

Recipe via Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Cupcakes magazine.

One afternoon while kid wrangling my country kids, their mom had a cupcake magazine that I had to get.  So, we rounded up the kids' Border's gift cards and headed to town.  I picked up my magazine {and the last one I saw on the shelf!}, and the kids each got a new book.  I think we were all pleased with our purchases.  However, I was the most thrilled!  :)

A picture of the magazine, from Cupcake Project.  {Go check out this blog as well!}



The first recipe I tried from the magazine...Orange Cream Pop Cupcakes.

I love everything Orange Cream, so this had  to be my first recipe I try. 
But, in my true fashion,I altered the recipe a bit.  :)

Thinking 'Orange Cream', I thought it would be fun to have a little 'cream' inside the cupcake.
So that is what I did...in vanilla pudding form.  


First up, follow the recipe and bake up some 'orange' cupcakes.



I then used my fun new cupcake tool that I picked up from Williams-Sonoma.  
You can see the Cuisipro Cupcake Corer here. 

I cored out the cupcakes after they were nice and cool.  I tried a little to early, when they were still warm.  That was no good.  Cupcakes need to be cooled.


The best part.....    :)


Prior to coring the cupcakes, I whipped up a batch of vanilla pudding.  I let it set up for a few minutes in the frig.  Then I added it to a pastry bag, because any other tool I use to use for something like this has seen better days.  




I then topped it with a version of the frosting recipe in the magazine.  I had some runny cream cheese frosting already in the frig, so made do with what I had.  Therefore, they don't look the greatest.  But this is one of those things where things taste better than they look.



Next time I make these or something similar to these, I won't put as much pudding in them.  It was a little too rich for me.  What I will do instead, after I take out the core, I will cut the cored part in half, fill the hole with a little pudding, then put the top back on.
Now, how about the recipe?  If you are in central Iowa area and make these, I'd be happy to taste test for you.  :)

Orange Cream Pop Cupcakes
Prep:  40 minutes
Bake:  18 minutes
Cool:  45 minutes
Oven:  350 degrees

1 3-ounce package orange-flavor gelatin
1 2-layer-size package white cake mix {any white cake mix should work for this}
1 4-serving-size package cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 1/4 cups orange juice
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350*.  Line muffin cups with wrappers.  Set aside 2 teaspoons of the gelatin for the Cream Pop Frosting.  In a mixing bowl beat the remaining gelatin, the cake mix, pudding mix, orange jice, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
2.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.  {I use a medium Pampered Chef scoop to add batter to my muffin cups.  One full scoop is a perfect size for even-sized cupcakes.}
3.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes.  Remove cupcakes from muffin cups.  Cool completely on wire racks.
4.  Spoon orange-flavor Cream Pop Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.  Spoon the vanilla flavor Cream Pop Frosting into another pastry bag fitted with a small star tip.  Pipe orange frosting onto each cupcake to cover the top.  Pip a medium-size star of white frosting onto each cupcake.  If desired, insert a craft stick into top of each cupcake.  {Or, if you are me, you add a straw, thinking about an orange float or orange julius.}


Cream Pop Frosting:
Prepare 1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting.  Place one-fourth of the frosting in a separate bowl; beat in an additional 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.  To the remaining bowl of Cream Cheese Frosting add the reserved 2 teaspoons orange gelatin from the cupcakes and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel.  If desired, add a few drops orange food coloring.  Beat to combine.


Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 1/2 - 6 cups powdered sugar

Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  In a large mixing bowl beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.  Makes about 3 1/2 cups.


Enjoy!  :)

1 comment:

traci said...

this is the second post containing cupcakes already this morning. this is not good. now i will be craving them all day. those look really good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...