1.07.2011

So long, Farewell.....

auf Wiedersehen, goodbye!

Wow.  Where to start?

This past Monday, our office hosted a 'farewell' party for my
coworker/office mate/friend, Jessica.

Sometime during this past fall, Jessica responded to God's call/urging/pushing to end her position with our program and to finish up her Master's program this spring.  Sometime in November, it all became 'real'.  She turned in her resignation once she officially had an assistantship with the AgEd department on campus, and will also be a full-time grad student (instead of part-time like she has done for the past couple of years).  So come May, Jessica will officially have her Masters!  Wahoo to her!

And to put the cherry on top...over Christmas, she got engaged!  When's the wedding?  In May!  Will she be moving?  Yup.  Where?  Far south!  Where it's HOT and HUMID.  That is where her fiance has a position with a state university. 


{Jessica is the one on the right, having her engagement ring displayed.}

Even though many things were up in the air when Jessica followed God's pushing, He had a great plan in mind for her. What a great display of faith she showed by following Him, even though (at the time) she had no idea what the future held for her.

For the past 5 years and 3 months, Jessica and I have worked together.  Sharing ideas; opinions {venting}; concerns; joys; traveling together to Boston, Del Mar, the Big Island (Hawaii), Savannah, and La Jolla for TRiO trainings; enjoying dance breaks in the office; talking about life; numerous planning sessions for activities, programs, trips, ideas to assist the students we serve; working together on various committees; and who knows what else.

But this morning, this is what I saw when I walked in the office. 
 

This is where Jessica use to sit.  Now, all of her personal belongings are gone.  What is left, things the new person will need/utilize, once a hire is made.

As I sit at my desk working, this is what I see.


And man, it just seems weird.  Wednesday was officially our last day in the office together, since I was at a school visit yesterday.

Thankfully, I at least have this view to enjoy, since I am now alone in the office.



Now, with this change, there is a challenge for me.  To grow as a professional.  To not be afraid of implementing my own ideas.  To take some risks.  To step out on my own.  To work at becoming a leader with our program, as well as our state and regional TRiO organizations {hopefully}.

By nature, I would much rather have someone tell me what to do, and then I do it the best I can.  That's why Jessica and I were such a good team.  She is a leader.  She would come up with concepts/ideas, and I would help make them real.  She is the dreamer/visionary, I would help bring them to life.

But yes, I am very hesitant...maybe even scared.  I don't like to fail.  The work I do is to assist with the college planning and preparation process for middle and high school students who are the first generation in their family to attend college.  I know how to go to college.  I know how to be undecided about a major.  I know how to struggle.  I know how to overcome those struggles and finally choose a major.  I know how to graduate from college with 3 degrees on my diploma. 

I don't know why I am so hesitant {scared} about this change.  Maybe it is just the unknown.  Or not.  But hopefully I will learn from it soon!

Until then, my dream is to be the best Program Advisor I can be, in order to help our students make their college dreams a reality.


Thankfully, I don't really have to say 'see ya later' to Jessica just yet  She lives in my building.  Actually, the apartment directly below me.  Plus, I get to help a little with the wedding planning.  Specifically, the lodging for all the out-of-town, out-of-state guests.  And I love it!  Like I said earlier, you give me a task, I'll get it done.  Plus, that's the stuff Jessica doesn't like doing.  So what a team!


Jessica, best of luck and God bless as you begin this new journey in your life. Even though you are leaving, the impact you have made on hundreds (actually probably thousands) of students, as well as fellow TRiO colleagues, will not be forgot.

2 comments:

traci said...

congrats to jessica. she heard his voice and followed him. plus she's getting married. yahoo. i am sure you will miss working with her. become a leader girl. you can do it.

Jessica said...

It still looks like I'm sitting there! Only, cleaner. :) But look at all the stuff still there! That's crazy.

I know, I miss it too. This is such a different journey! Learning curve!

You, by the way, have what it takes to do all that you are scared to do. "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Just remember that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...