10.28.2009

Sock Drawer Chaos

How many of you are like me, and LOVE socks? I don't mean plain white socks. I'm talking socks with some life to them. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only that has a problem with a few too many fun socks. Well, I guess that isn't the problem...my lack of space or consistent organization of them is the problem. It seems that every fall, my sock drawer looks like this, and it drives me crazy.
(Do you see the white sock on the right with the the yellow toe and heal and green shamrocks? My sister Gina got me those socks when she and Jay visited Ireland. The other sock is green instead of white, with white shamrocks instead of green. VERY fun.)

And this drawer is usually home to my plain white socks and anklet socks.
After sorting through the drawers, rematching some of the pairs or sets, it's time to reorganize. I fold each of my pairs or sets of socks, so the tops don't stretch out. I then try to group them by color. On some of them, I have to decide which color group they should be with. In the picture below, you can see that I really like brown socks. I could possibly wear them every day with a different outfit if I wanted to. Do you see the socks that are on the bottom, just left of the brown socks? Well, those are all my LittleMissMatched socks. If you are wanting to get some great fun, crazy, kooky socks, that is the place to go. I love them!

And here's my other sock drawer. My white/athletic socks, as well as my anklet socks.

It's hard to believe, but I wear most of the socks in the main sock drawer. I do go through my drawer and take out ones I haven't worn for a long time and give them to friends. Otherwise, I wear the rest of them, and wear them a little too much. Many of them are very thin on the bottom of the foot, but I can't bring myself to throw them out yet. There have been times where I will double up my socks so I can wear one of the thinning pairs. Bad, I know. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with the thin fun socks? They don't make good rags like athletic socks, so I'm at a loss.

Many times people will comment on how well my socks match my outfit. But little do they know, I will often find a pair of socks I want to wear, then plan my outfit around the socks. It might also be a reason why I have a pretty solid colored wardrobe, and not too many patterns at all. It makes sock outfit planning much easier.

Oh, I'm also looking for better ways to store my socks. Any suggestions? Right now, they are all just folded in half. I've thought about rolling them up, but don't know if it will work much better. So if you have any creative ways that you store your socks, I would love to hear them!

And remember, it's okay to have fun socks! It can bring life to an otherwise simple outfit.

6 comments:

Janel said...

You are too funny! I can't believe all those socks! I went through a crazy sock phase a few years ago and got lots of fun ones...you gotta bring some life to the hum drum of winter somehow!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Wow - that is some serious socks. I think I have 3 pairs and they are all white. Wow, I am humbled (:

Just wanted to say HI - as we are practically neighbors in this farm country!!

Love your sassiness and your CRAFTS! Might have to make a drive!

Heidi said...

That is seriously a lot of socks! I bet you never have cold feet.:) Looking forward to seeing you soon. BTW, I'm gonna need some moisturizer soon. Thanks!

traci said...

my kids sock drawers look very similar. man, you have lots of socks. i love the fun ones!!!

Amanda said...

COOL!! :) I am totally envious of your sock drawer- those are awesome! :)

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Wow, Girl! That is a lot of socks! I would hate doing your laundry. I buy all the same color just so I don't have to match them!

Very cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...