5.02.2011

Howdy Kitchen: Red Velvet Cupcakes

{I apologize for the quality of photos.  These were taking about 2 years ago.}

A friend on facebook shared that she made the tie dyed cupcakes.  She also mentioned red velvet cake.

That got me thinking about red velvet cupcakes.

So I'm sharing this delicious recipe!

It was given to me a couple of years ago, when I was asked to make 50 cupcakes for a birthday party.

And I haven't parted with it since.



Ingredients:

-1 teaspoon cider vinegar
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 ½ cup sugar
-1/2 cup butter
-2 eggs
-2 teaspoon cocoa powder
-2 oz bottle red food coloring
-1 cup buttermilk
-2 ½ cups cake flour sifted
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon vanilla
 

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350
-Combine 1 tsp cider vinegar and 1 tsp baking soda stir & let stand
-Make a paste with 2 tsp cocoa powder & 1/3 bottle of red food coloring set aside
-Sift together 2 ½ cups cake flour, 1 teaspoon salt & ½ teaspoon baking powder
-Cream 1 ½ cup sugar, 1/2cup butter
-Add 2 eggs, one at a time
-Stir in red food coloring paste
-Add rest of food coloring
-Add 1 cup buttermilk
-Slowly add the sifted flour, salt and baking powder
-Add 1 teaspoon vanilla
-Then add the vinegar and soda
-Bake at 350 for 30 min for cake. 15-20 min for cupcakes....I think.

I will confirm the cupcake baking time when I make them Tuesday night.



Frosting:

Use your best cream cheese frosting!


 Sure, this recipe will take a little more time to make than it would to use a box mix.

But man, it's delicious! 

I have a feeling I will be making these tomorrow night!  :)


Good luck Holly!

2 comments:

Holly Kasperbauer said...

I can't wait to make them! Maybe this weekend.

J-D-K-G said...

Thanks for the recipe, Nicole. I made these today for my Dad's retirement party tomorrow! Justin and I had to taste them today, of course, to make sure they were okay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...